Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Crunch Crunch Crunch... I love Carrots

Hello World! Spring is here! and Summer is approaching! (although this SF Cali weather is confused) All those who know me well... KNOW I LOVE THE COLOR ORANGE! I am drawn to ORANGE! No matter what it is. If I see ORANGE! I've got to have it! While cruising the veggie aisle I find these ORANGE stick like objects calling my name, QianaQiana... I find myself purchasing bags of carrots!! MMmmmm the smile that graces my face is ridiculuos (really it is). It's spring time and carrots are becoming my friend. Not quite sure why suddenly I'm feeling a need for carrots almost everyday BUT I am enjoying my munchy crunchy sweet carrots. My mother always said carrots are good for your vision well apparently they are good for more than that. 

Carrots are rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins and carotenes
Carrots have a lot of beta carotene, which may help reduce cancer
What is beta carotene you maybe wondering? (I wondered-so I had to look it up)
What is
beta-carotene? I looked at this site and thought WOW look at all of this info http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=125
(be sure to check out the entire page - Thank you to the source http://www.whfood.com/)
Beta-carotene is probably the most well known of the carotenoids, a phytonutrients family that represents of the one most widespread groups of naturally occurring pigments. It is one of the most abundant carotenoids in the North American diet as well as one of approximately 50 carotenoids known as "provitamin A"compounds, able to be converted in the body into retinol, an active form of vitamin A.

While beta-carotene produces colors in the orange and yellow range, beta-carotene rich foods may be other colors besides from these two. That is because other phytonutrients pigments blend together with the beta-carotene to give the plant food its unique hue that, in addition to orange or yellow, could be other colors including pink, red or white.

How beta-carotene functions - What are the functions of beta-carotene?

Preventing Vitamin A Deficiency - Until late in the 20th Century, the functions of carotenoids, including beta-carotene, were discussed only in terms of their potential vitamin A activity. Beta-carotene is one of approximately 50 carotenoids of the known 600, that are called "provitamin A" compounds because the body can convert them into retinol, an active form of vitamin A.

As a result, foods that contain beta-carotene can help prevent vitamin A deficiency. In addition to alpha-carotene and beta-cryptoxanthin, beta-carotene is among the most commonly consumed provitamin A carotenoids in the North American diet.

If youre anything like me you NOW want to learn about
vitamin AAccording to this site http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=106
vitamin A does a lot of things like...Preserve and improve your eyesight
Help you fight off viral infections

Then I read
, What events can indicate a need for more high-vitamin A foods?Frequent viral infections
Night blindness
Goose bump-like appearance of the skin

As I read the entire article provided by
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=106 This part really caught my attention
What health conditions require special emphasis on vitamin A?
Vitamin A may play a role in the prevention and/or treatment of the following health conditions:
Acne
AIDS
Alcoholism
Atopic dermatitis
Cataracts
Cervical dysplasia
Diabetes
Dry Eyes
Fibrocycstic breast disease
Hyperkeratosis
Inflammaotory bowel disease
Kaposi's sarcoma
Leukoplakia
Osteoarthritis
Otitis media (ear infection)
Poor vision
Psoriasis
Thyroid disorders
Ulcers
Vaginitis
Varicose veins
Viral infections

I'll never look at carrots the same








Another great link to read regarding carrots is http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/nutrition.html
(Source - Thank you www.whfood.com)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks!
    www.treasuredspotbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful review!! I'm glad that I'm not the only one addicted to carrots. I can eat a 1lb bag of baby carrots everyday. People laugh at me, but I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    http://mizzentice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mizz Entice! I'm with you! I love em'

    ReplyDelete

Choqolate Chiq Communiqué

Popular Posts